It never hurts to stack the cards in your favor, that is why we whipped up some Spicy Black Eyed Pea Stew to ring in the New Year and garner some good luck! Not only does this stew have a spicy kick thanks to our Serrano Sauce 💥, but it also has a sweeter side. A little sweet potato adds a whole lot of delicious 🍠 This recipe feeds up to 6 people, but you’re always welcome to keep the luck all for yourself and enjoy the leftovers all week!
Spicy Vegan Black Eyed Pea Stew
Write a review
- 1 lb Black Eyed Peas, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 quart Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp Yellowbird Serrano Condiment
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
- Soak peas in 5 cups of water overnight. After soaking, drain water and set peas aside.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onions, and bell peppers and sauté about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté for one minute and remove from heat.
- Return peas to pot and add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, stir, cover, and reduce heat allowing stew to simmer for 1 hour, stir occasionally.
- Add sweet potatoes, Yellowbird Serrano Sauce, and all seasonings. Cover and allow to simmer for another hour, stirring occasionally. Add an additional 1–2 cups of water if needed.
- Top it all off with your favorite cheese, chives, and more Yellowbird Sauce if your heart desires. Taste, tweak, serve, and enjoy!
Yellowbird Foods https://yellowbirdsauce.com/